We all know fruits. We know they are healthy and easy to find. We know they do a lot of good to our bodies. We know they are easy to eat and dont require cooking or long processing. We know that we are advised to eat them rather than junk and in fact a lot of the time, we take fruits to reduce our subsequent food intake, as well as to regulate our bowel movements. Me I'm a little vain o so I'd like to look at them another way.
One aspect of benefits we usually dont place emphasis on is the use of fruits on our skin as a safer as well as cheaper alternative to all our scrubs, masks and other shockingly harmful chemicals we apply on our skins.
Besides the fact that they hydrate and rejuvenate your skin, the very smell of a fruit on your face is quite de-stressing. Here are the four most popular fruits in Nigeria and how they can help you look ten years younger !
A single orange gives you almost a full day's vitamin C, which is known to improve skin texture and color, plus potassium. Oranges are rich in vitamin C that improves skin texture. Oranges contain collagen that slows skin aging process. You can rub the insides of the orange on your skin to tighten the skin. Oranges can also be dried and powdered and used as a natural scrub. Like lemon, oranges too help clear skin blemishes. The orange belongs to the citrus family and is best known for its astringent and toning properties. They help restore collagen in the body which is responsible for skin firming and preventing early aging of skin.
• After eating orange, instead of throwing away the peels, dry them in sun and grind them. Store the mixture and you could use it as a body scrub from time to time.
• If you have extra time to spare, mix the scrub with milk once in a while and apply on your face for about 20 minutes. It gives an instant glow to your face. It also reduces the dark spots and blemishes on your skin.
• Another way to use it is to simply pour boiling water on the peels and leave for a day. Next day, filter the liquid and store it in fridge. Apply the liquid on your face using a cotton ball. Let stay till it dries up. Your face will be firm and glowing. You could also pour this liquid in your bath water and enjoy a refreshing and rejuvenating bath. Your skin will smell fresh all day.
• Finally, take the juice of 2 oranges and freeze in an ice tray. Rub your face with frozen orange juice cubes. It will instantly freshen you up and lift up the tiredness from your face. In addition, the chilled ice cubes will close and minimize the size of your pores. This also provides relief to acne prone skin and pimples.
Papayas also provide a lot of vitamin C and is rich in antioxidants and contains a special enzyme called papain that can kill dead cells and cure skin impurities. A glass of papaya milk or just applying the flesh of papaya on your skin can do wonders to your skin. Rub the Papaya peel on your face after eating the papaya. Let it stay for no more than 5 minutes and wash off with cold water. AHA's (alpha-hydroxy acids), which are the most coveted ingredients of today for their anti-aging properties, are in abundance in Papaya which makes it an acidic fruit. Therefore you should note that if you apply Papaya for too long, it would cause dryness and possibly irritation of your skin.
• Papaya is a great skin-firming and anti-aging mask. Simply mash uneaten Papaya with or without milk and apply on your face. It helps in removing blemishes, dark spots, evens out your skin tone and brings a glow to your face.
• Papaya is also, a natural exfoliator. You will observe several facial scrubs have some papaya.
• Mix mashed Papaya with honey for a hydrating skin mask.
Papaya fruit pulp and the dry latex is the basic component of various creams, scrubs and shampoos. Intake of papaya reduces the effect of stress on the skin. The enzyme papain acts as an exfoliative agent and removes dead cells as well as lifts away dry skin. It also contains anti-oxidants which reduce aging and make you look young again.
We are all familiar with the phrase : ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ . Did you also know an apple a day keeps you glowing all the way ?
• Regular intake of Apple reduces wrinkles and fine lines
• Is a great anti-aging mask due to its high content of anti-oxidants
• Place slices of Apple under your eyes to reduce dark circles or puffy eyes
• Mash a quarter of an apple with milk and apply on your face to remove blemishes and dark spots. It is a great remedy for acne.
• Cut a slice of an apple and apply the juice on your face until the slice dries up. It balances the oil production in your body and is a great hydrating mask.
• Apple provides relief from sunburn due to its cooling properties. Place a slice of Apple in the fridge for an hour or so and then, apply on sun-burnt skin to get relief.
• Apple not only provides hydration to the skin, but, also cleanses.
• Mix a grated apple with honey and apply on your face for five minutes for a hydrated, stress free skin.
Bananas are rich in Vitamin A, B and E and hence work as an anti-aging agent. A fresh mashed banana facial can leave your skin feeling smooth and supple. All you need to do is mash a ripe banana and mix with a spoonful of honey. You could do with or without a small teaspoon of powdered milk. Apply to a washed face and leave for 20 to 30 minutes, then wash off with lukewarm water.You could also mix with olive or coconut oil for moisture.
Even the peel contains antioxidants that can also be us to treat allergies, bruises and mosquito bites as well as well as to cure acne and wrinkles.
As mentioned earlier, unlike the chemical beauty treatments, fruits are cost-effective, natural and also bring a visible difference. Try them today !